Flemington racecourse offers a range of accessible facilities for those with limited mobility and special needs. Suitable ticketing options, on-course facilities and both public and private accessible transportation are available during each of the race days.
For information regarding accessible facilities available during other race days and events please contact Customer Service.
Transport services, parking & drop-off locations
There are several accessible entrances to Flemington Racecourse:
- Hill Gate via Leonard Crescent
- Flemington Racecourse Train Station entrance - Platforms 1 & 2
- Flemington Drive entrance via Epsom Road.
For racegoers parking at the Showgrounds, there are two options:
- If entering via the Hill Gate, the gradient from the Showgrounds Car Park via Langs Road is 1 in 12
- If entering via the Flemington Drive entrance, the tunnel into Flemington has a gradient of 1 in 6.
All turnstile entries have an accessible entry to accommodate wheelchair and special needs access.
For gate opening times, see the race day event page in the Racing Calendar.
The following areas are designated accessible car parking areas. These cars must display a disabled logo.
- VIP Car Park (entry via Leonard Crescent) - 6 parking bays, EOS Zone 70
- Rear of Rank 3 & 4, Members Unreserved Car Park - 40 parking bays, EOS Zone 17
Accessible taxi ranks locations:
- Main taxi rank at Phar Lap Statue via Stables Drive entry via (Smithfield Road)
- Hill Gate via Leonard Crescent
Bookings can be made through:
- Central Booking Line - (03) 8413 7202
- Yellow Cabs - (03) 9277 3877
- CABiT - 13 22 22
Private hire vehicles and Uber
VHA/B & C cars and Uber can access Flemington via Hill Gate (via Leonard Crescent).
The preferred locations for private drop off and collection are Hill Gate via Leonard Crescent.
All train services are wheelchair accessible and passengers who need help boarding trains should wait on the platform near the front of the train.
Flemington Racecourse Train Station entrance - platforms 1 & 2.
Extra tram services will run along Route 57. Please note, low-floor trams do not run on Route 57 and it is therefore recommended passengers using a mobility aid should catch the train to the racecourse.
Catch Route 472 bus from Williamstown, Footscray or Moonee Ponds to Fisher Parade. Enter Flemington Racecourse via Riverbank entrance.
Catch Route 404 bus from Footscray or Moonee Ponds to Smithfield Road. Enter Flemington Racecourse via Stables Drive entrance.
For more information on Melbourne's trains, trams and buses, visit ptv.vic.gov.au or phone 1800 800 007 (6am-midnight daily). TTY (03) 9619 2727.
Travellers Aid Australia is a friendly and professional organisation offering free personal care services and mobility equipment hire for seniors and people with limited mobility.
Travellers Aid Australia is centrally located at Flinders Street Station (in the ticketed barrier area between Platforms 9 & 10) and at Southern Cross Station (on the main concourse, opposite the Luggage Hall). A free buggy transport and personal guidance service is also available at Southern Cross Station.
For details, including service opening hours, visit travellersaid.org.au or phone Flinders Street Station on (03) 9610 2030 or Southern Cross Station on (03) 9670 2072.
On course services and facilities
The following accessible viewing areas are available on course:
- A limited area is available at the eastern end of Saintly Place
- Racegoers with a disability with reserved seating in The Hill Stand can access The Hill Stand via The Grandstand lifts.
- The Grandstand Level 4, The View - wheelchair bays available
The Club Stand Levels 1, 2 & 3 - wheelchair bays available
There are a number of bathrooms across Flemington Racecourse that are suitable for people with special access needs.
- Horse stalls/Parade Ring
- Flemington Heritage Centre and Eastern end of Betting Ring
- Hill Road - on Railway platforms 1&2 (Platform 2 accessed from Hill Gate)
- Eastern end of the Central Breezeway (female)
- Central Breezeway beside accessible lift
- Western end of the Saintly Place - Hill Square - next to The Park fence line
- Hill Square - next to The Park fence line
- Elms Betting Ring - male toilet next to breeze way
- Elms Area - located next to Riverbank turnstile
- Headquarters Tavern - located at Hill Square/rear of Hill Stand
- The Nursery Car Park
- The Grandstand – Levels 1,2,3 & 4
- The Club Stand - Levels 1, 2, 3 & 4 (EOS Zone 50-54)
- Members Betting Ring
- Members Lawn
Restaurant, marquees and enclosures
- Parade Lounge
- The Terrace Restaurant
- The Hill Stand, Level 3 (outside Panorama Restaurant)
The Grandstand - Members with limited mobility may access Levels 1 (The Forum), 2 (The Atrium), 4 (The View) and 5 (The Peak) via the eastern lift (accessible from The Betting Ring). Access to Level 1 (The Forum) is also available via the main entrance to The Grandstand opposite the railway station.
The Hill Stand - Dining racegoers with a disability requiring entry to the Hill Stand may be taken via the western lift in The Grandstand to Level 4 (The View) and then via the dedicated wheelchair lift. Access to the Hill Stand is also available via Level 2 (The Atrium) through the Hill Stand Ground Level.
Chairman's Club - Chairman's Club members and their guests with limited mobility may enter via the Eastern lift within The Grandstand to Level 3 (Chairman's Club)
Public areas - Public access to the Breezeway, Saintly Place, Betting Ring and Front Lawn areas for patrons with limited mobility entering via the train station, Hill Gate and The Park may also enter through The Members Grandstand.